‘Honours’ Degree Only After 4 Years, Not 3, Says New Rule

According to the new draft norms prepared by the University Grants Commission (UGC), students will be able to get an undergraduate ‘Honours’ degree after completing four years instead of three. The draft ‘Curriculum and Credit Framework for Four-Year Undergraduate Programs’, prepared in accordance with the National Education Policy, is likely to be notified on Monday. “Students will be able to obtain a UG degree in three years on completion of 120 credits (measured through number of academic hours) and a UG Honors degree in four years on completion of 160 credits.

“If they want to go for research specialisation, they will have to undertake a research project in their four-year course. This will give them Honors degree with research specialisation,” the draft said.

“Students who are already enrolled and pursuing three year UG program as per the existing Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) are eligible to pursue four year undergraduate program. courses (including online) for transition to the expanded programme,” it added.

At present, students get an Honors degree after completing three-year undergraduate programmes. FYUP also allows multiple entry and exit options for the students. If they leave before three years, they will be allowed to re-join within three years of exit and must complete their degree within the stipulated period of seven years.

Read also: ‘Professor of Practice’: UGC asks universities, colleges to change rules for appointing teachers

The syllabus for FYUP, as suggested in the document, includes major stream courses, minor stream courses, courses in other subjects, language courses, skill courses and a set of courses on Environment Education, Understanding India, Digital and Technological Solutions, Health included. and wellness, yoga education, and sports and fitness.

At the end of the second semester, students may decide to continue with their chosen major or to change their major.

Students will also have the option of going for UG with single major or double major.

The document states, “A student has to secure a minimum of 50 per cent credits from the major subject for a 3-year/4-year UG degree awarded with a single major.”

(This report has been published as part of an auto-generated syndicated wire feed. No edits have been made to the copy by ABP Live except for the headline.)

Education Loan Information:
Calculate Education Loan EMI

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *