Lucknow University is all set to introduce dual degree program for the incoming students from the upcoming 2023-24 academic session. The university has got the go-ahead from its admission committee to implement the dual degree policy announced by the UGC (University Grants Commission).
After the implementation of the new policy from the next academic session, students of Lucknow University will be able to pursue two degree courses simultaneously. This decision was taken in the meeting chaired by Professor Alok Kumar Rai, Vice Chancellor of Lucknow University on Tuesday, December 6, 2022.
In the meeting, the university also decided to increase the seats in M.Sc. Food Processing and Food Technology from 30 to 40 from the upcoming academic session. The University will also constitute a committee to prepare a roadmap for the effective implementation of the policy.
Earlier this year in April, the UGC drafted the dual degree policy and asked universities to implement it. The dual degree policy of the UGC allows students to pursue an additional degree along with a regular degree with both the degrees having equal validity. The UGC also framed regulations to facilitate joint, dual degree and twinning programs by Indian and foreign higher education institutions.
The UGC policy also allows students the freedom to pursue two degree programs in the same or two different universities. Further, as per the policy guidelines, students may take one full-time course in physical mode and another in online or distance learning mode or two online/distance courses simultaneously.
In its official notification released in April this year, the University Grants Commission drafted the following guidelines for students seeking to take up dual degree programmes:
- A student may pursue two full-time academic programs in physical mode, provided that in such cases, the class time for one program does not overlap with the class time for the other program.
- A student can participate in two academic programmes, one in full time physical mode and the other in Open and Distance Learning (ODL)/online mode; or up to two ODL/Online programs simultaneously.
- Degree or Diploma programs under ODL/Online mode will be undertaken only with such HEIs which are recognized by UGC/Statutory Council/Govt. of India to run such programs.
- The degree or diploma programs under these guidelines will be governed by the regulations notified by the UGC and the respective statutory/professional councils, wherever applicable.
- These guidelines will be effective from the date of their notification by the UGC. Retrospective benefit cannot be claimed by those students who have pursued two academic programs simultaneously prior to the notification of these guidelines.
However, the fact to be noted is that UGC’s dual degree policy and the above guidelines will be valid only for students pursuing academic programs other than Ph.D.
Education Loan Information:
Calculate Education Loan EMI